It's officially 'rainy season' and boy did 'Nate' give us some rain! Prayers to all those affected and please stay tuned -- we are working on a way to raise a little extra donation dollars (colones) for this beautiful country.
We will try to keep this list updated as much as possible and please let us know what we missed and must try, do and/or see.
- Limonada* | Great place to hang, watch the sunset and get some delicious grub! Their cocktails are really something. | 8am - 9pm
- Costa Rica Sailing Center* | Closed Mondays, but awesome place to find festivals, rentals, a pool, sunsets, live music and good people. Fridays are a great! | 8am - 8pm
- Nasu of Bahia del Sol* | They will be closed for a bit during October, just not sure when. Happy Hour is from 4:30 - 6:30. Pool + Beach = Happiness | 6am - 11pm
- Sentido Norte* | Kids aren't allowed, but what a view to take in while the kids are in school | 7am - 11pm
- Pura Vida Ride* | Coffee, gelato & sunsets. Take you pick or go for it all! | 7am - 5pm
- Mar Vista* | Awesome sunset and a pool! Open for lunch + dinner w/ interesting happy hours.
- Surf Box | I love stopping by to get smoothies and/or coffee to go! Their food and vibe is worth a stop though. Mmm. | 7:30am - 3:30pm
- La Cuchara Verde | This place will make you never want meat again. Smoothies, food, coffee is all legit and you can grab stuff to go easily. | 8am - 3:30pm
- Soda La Tipica | Great food and easy to-go food too!
- El Castillo | Live Music on Tuesdays.
- The Shack | Breakfast + Lunch.
- Shogun Sushi Restaurant | It's next to the National Bank and is offering a 10% discount for the months of Sept-Oct. | 11am - 12pm
- Casa Celeste | Closed Thursdays, but oh-so-yum!
- Sol Y Mar | We love to call in some casado to-go if we are in a pinch, but the atmosphere and folks that run it are fantastic.
- Numu | Has a pool. | 4pm - 10pm
- Sugar Beach Hotel* | Relax in pool or on the beach.
- Pleamar (love this family), Tikki's (has swings and a see saw), Don Brasilito (playground), Soda Marcel, Las Brisas*, Maxwell's, etc...
- Alondra Express | Fast food consisting of fried chicken and whole rotisserie chickens to go out in Haucus.
- Coco Loco* + La Locando | Closed for the rainy season.
- *On the water or water views.
THINGS TO DO NEARBY
- Las Catalinas | Hike or bike the trails (grab a map from Pura Vida. There is also public parking right past the Limonada entrance). Rent a SUP board, kayak etc... from Pura Vida Ride. Or simply watch walk around and watch the sunset
- Maleku Chocolate Factory | Go buy some chocolate, take a tour of the planation or attend a workshop. | 9am - 5pm
- Playa Conchal | Stay and play all day. Rent anything to ride, play, eat or drink! It's also a great beach to simply walk. Not to mention the $20 massages on the beach. Get there via the beach road from Brasalito.
- Playa Prieta | Our favorite 'read under a tree' beach and you can check out the skim boarders at sunset.
- Playa Penca | Enjoy!
- Playa Grande | Awesome beach to walk or surf! Check out the tacos from Taco Star (Brit's parents are originally from my TX small town stomping grounds). Rent boards or take lessons from Frijoles Locos Surf Shop. Oh yeah Rip Jack Inn has an awesome HH and bites (as well as breakfast, lunch and dinner). Keep an eye out for the turtles (per Nikki)
- Tamarindo | Estuary Tour, Wok N Roll, Shrimp Hole, Pangas, Noi, Nogui's*, Sharky's, Patagonia, Dragonfly (life flamingo jazz on saturday), Seasons, Bamboo Sushi Club, El Chiringuito, Volcano Brewing Company. Give surfing a try with Rafa from BeFitRetreat.
- Catamaran and Sail Boats. This is my favorite right now bc of the whales and turtles (it gives me chills typing this favorite activity of mine) | Panache (per Nikki and her $5 off coupon); Manta Ray Sailing (the sweetest family ever), Serendipity (La Paz parents) & Lazy Lizard
- Check The Swell Dweller online for live music and more in Tamarindo and beyond!
- Liberia | Llanos de Cortes Waterfall, Kpatawee Falls
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park | Use code 'howler' (per Nikki)
- The Congo Canopy Trail | A close place to go see the monkeys.
- Beach Cinema Hermosa
- Surfside Entertainment
- Tamarindo Entertainment
- Swell Dweller Entertainment:
- http://www.ecotranscostarica.com/ | $25 pp from Liberia to your drop off | $44 pp from Playa Flamingo to Arenal (easy to work with and has wifi on the bus for communication)
- Stay at Volcano Lodge + Springs for a super great off-season rate ($75-$100) with private hot springs tubs.
- Mystic Hanging Bridges
- Butterfly Conservatory
- La Fortuna Waterfall
- Eat at Hotel Los Heroes
- Dinner at Gingerbread - recommended by Nikki
- Baldi Hot Springs - stay or play.
- Los Laureles and their thermal waters water park. - recommended by Brittnie
- Los Lagos Resort - recommended by Surf Box
- Horseback riding
RECOMMENDED TO US | OFF SEASON PRICING
- Palo Verde National Park
- Hacienda Pinilla Club
- Los Also de Eros
- Rio Perdido
- Flor Blanca Resort
- Rio Celeste Hideaway
- La Carolina Lodge
- Punta Islitas